Tuesday, November 12, 2013

lady tencows



Lady Tencows

They laugh, "A woman's worth one cow."
She, halt by her father's hand
and Mawmaw's cross-eyed bull,
was, well, worth less.

Bold-tongued,
opined about the length of thatch
and how the sun peers in our hut
to make a longer day
                                 and me
more of laughter's fool.

But she can read the stars
and mix a brew to tend the night
and tether sorrows
with arms that know the length of love.

They watch her on the path,
blinking at her broad-brimmed hat,
while she,
standing at the edge of all we know,
scatters words.
                       Ten cows I gave for her.
                       Ten cows was all I had.



1 comment:

  1. This is priceless and always my favorite poem, although I love them.

    xx Tamara

    ReplyDelete