Sunday, December 22, 2013

gardener

gardener



gardener

the expectant earth
surrendered
another row today
my back girdle-cinched
against a concert of injury

my shovel
puts strength in my arms
as the black soil peels back
worms and tiny roots

me and the yellow sun
are glad to be
ahead of the game

sitting in the swing
i hold hands with her
                               she thinks
the garden is country casual
with its chicken-wire fence

but i picture
that salvaged patio lumber
forming next year's border
and a new fence
to keep the rabbits out

the squirrels go where they go



2 comments:

  1. Wonderful reading Mexico!!!! It is so crazy that we can see and hear you and feel your words from such a distance. Country casual....I so love that line. When the garden is what we have then the garden it is...damn the squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful poem; I love listening to you.

    Beccy

    ReplyDelete